Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chicken Roll Ups

Hi Yall!
I love chicken roll ups and I always thought they were a universal recipe everyone knew....until I got married.  My Man in Uniform (MIU) and his family had never heard of them so I made them for Sunday dinner one day and they were a hit.  MIU loves them so much if he can pick anything for me to make that is a top choice. So here is the recipe.

For the actual roll ups you will need:
Crescent Rolls (one can usually feeds my family with a couple left over.  I would probably do two cans for a family of four)
shredded chicken (you can see I use canned chicken from Costco.  I LOVE this chicken and use it for anything that calls for shredded chicken.  If you dont want to use canned chicken you can cook about two chicken breasts per can of crescent rolls and shred them)
cream cheese (I use the cream cheese spread with onions and chives.  You can use regular cream cheese and season it yourself with chives, onions or even garlic)
bread crumbs (I use Panko bread crumbs again from Coscto.  My family likes these better because they have more of a crunch, but regular bread crumbs work great too.  You can also use seasoned bread crumbs if you want to)
butter and milk

Preheat your oven to whatever the directions are on your crescent rolls.  The crescent rolls I use say 375 degrees.  In a mixing bowl mix your shredded chicken, cream cheese (and spices if necessary) and a small amount of milk.  Just use enough milk to make it soft enough to mix but not runny.  In two separate bowls melt your butter (I usually use a half of stick for one can of rolls) and pour your bread crumbs
Open your crescent rolls and start unrolling.  Add chicken mixture to the middle of each roll
Roll up the edges of the roll to cover the chicken mixture.  These dont have to be pretty.  Just fold the dough however you need to so the chicken wont fall out.
I always do the whole pan of chicken rolls before I start rolling them in the butter and bread crumbs.  It is much easier and much less clean up this way.  Once I have finished the pan I move to the butter and bread crumbs.  Remember to always use one hand to roll in the butter and bread crumbs and keep one hand clean.  That way if you need to do anything in the middle you already have a clean hand.  Roll each roll in the melted butter and then the bread crumbs, completely covering the roll.  Here is an example of the rolls half done so you can see what I mean:
I use any leftover bread crumbs to put on top of the rolls just to make sure they are coated.  Put the rolls in the oven and follow the directions on the crescent roll package for cooking directions.  My package says 10 - 12 minutes but I ALWAYS end up cooking mine for at least 15 minutes.  They are just to doughy after only twelve minutes.  The way your rolls will look will depend a lot on the bread crumbs you use.  The darker the bread crumbs the darker the rolls, so you may have to actually take the rolls out and physically check them to see if they are done.  With the Panko crumbs I just look for a nice golden brown.
Like I said, I dont care how pretty my rolls look, but I do want them to taste good, and these did!! Happy Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment