Monday, February 24, 2014

Real Heroes Dont Wear Capes

I'm married to a cop.  He is on call tonight and his dinner sits on the stove, cold.  Ill heat it up for him when he gets home, hopefully before its time for breakfast.  He was on call the week of Christmas too.  He got a phone call at 2 am Christmas morning and I was trying to figure out how I was going to keep my two year old away from the stack of presents sitting in the living room.  But thankfully, I was able to pray with my husband this morning and give him a kiss goodbye. My husband was home on Christmas and God willing he will come home tonight.    There are many law enforcement wives who arent so lucky.  Their cop isnt coming home tonight....or any night.
        There is one such wife in Utah who just spent her first valentines day as a widow, and another who sat at her husband's bedside as he recovers from a gunshot wound to the head.  On January 30th Sgt. Cory Wride was killed after he pulled over to help a man whom he thought was a stranded motorist.  A short time later, Deputy Greg Sherwood was shot in the head as he tried to apprehend Sgt. Wride's murderer, but miraculously he survived. I wont lie, every time I hear of something like this happening a part of me says a silent prayer thanking my Father in Heaven that it isnt me....it isnt my husband.  But it is somebody's husband.  It is happening to somebody.
                                                 

A few years ago, before I had even met my husband, I was pulled over by a Highway Patrol Trooper in Utah.  This trooper pulled me over for the stupidest thing which, I actually found out later, wasn't even something he could pull me over for (but honestly, that doesn't really matter).  I was a witch with a capital B to this trooper.  I was not nice and just a snot.  I asked for his name, his supervisor's name, saying I was gonna report him and make sure he got in trouble for being such an a-hole.  He didn't give me a ticket because like I said, I hadn't done anything he could give me a ticket for.  A few days later we were at my Grandparents house and I was telling the story to some of my cousins.  Of course as I'm telling the story I'm proudly saying how snotty I was, what a jerk the trooper was for even pulling me over and that he couldn't even give me a ticket.  My Grandpa heard me telling my story and he stopped me, saying he didn't want to hear another word about how I had disrespected an officer of the law.  Ill never forget the lesson my Grandfather taught me that day (thanks Gramps!).  My Grandfather told me these officers put their lives on the line every single day to protect us, and they deserved respect for what they do.  He told me I should have been grateful to this officer and I should have thanked him for his service rather than argue and berate him as I'm sure others had done that day.  I find it rather ironic that I would end up being married to a police officer and getting a first hand view of how officers are treated and the sacrifices they make on a daily basis.
                                               

       Every time my husband leaves the house for work I say "I love you!  Be Safe!" and there is always a thought in the back of my mind that it could be the last time.  I cant explain to you the feeling when your husband is supposed to be home at 3 am and he still isn't home at 3:10.  The pit in your stomach that just gets bigger as the minutes tick by and he isn't answering your texts or phone calls. The fear that grips you when you wake up from a nightmare of your husband getting shot and he doesn't pick up the phone....for hours.  There have been a few nights I have literally prepared myself to get that knock at the door because I am convinced he isn't answering because something is wrong. 
       The other night my husband was getting ready to go work an off duty job working security at a bar (do you realize most police officers have to work multiple off duty gigs just to make ends meet?).  As he was getting ready he said, "Babe, if something happens to me, always remember how much I love you.  Also, please make sure you always tell my kids how much I loved them.  I want them to always know how much I loved all of you!"  Ill be honest, I got physically sick when he said this.  Of course my mind went to the worst immediately and I was asking if he had some type of premonition, did he think something was going to happen to him that night.  I went so far as to ask him to call and tell them he couldn't come in just to make sure something wouldn't happen.  I think he regretted even saying it once he saw how upset it made me.  He reassured me he wasn't saying anything was going to happen, he just wanted to make sure I knew how much he loved all of us.  Needless to say I didn't sleep well that night until he finally got home at 5 am.  This is the reality for police officers and their families.
       Why am I telling you all of this?  It isn't to complain, I promise.  My husband knew what he was getting into when he made the decision to become a cop and I knew what I was getting into when I married him (ok, not totally but I had an idea).  I tell you this because I ask you to stop and think the next time you get pulled over.  Usually if you have been pulled over it is because of something you have done.  Most cops don't enjoy pulling people over and they don't just do it for fun.  Most cops don't want to give tickets.  They are human.  They know tickets are expensive and they know what a burden they are putting on you and your family.  That being said it is their job.  If you get a ticket it is because you broke the law, not because some cop is trying to meet a quota.  You can be a jerk and cuss that police officer and that police officer will turn right around and give their life for you and their family.  Which leads me to the real reason I am writing this post.
         Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous jobs police officers do if not THE most dangerous.  I am more nervous about my husband pulling someone over than I am about most other calls he goes to.  Police officers have NO IDEA who is behind the wheel of that car.  When Sgt. Wride pulled over that day he thought he was helping a stranded motorist.  He even got out and spoke with the driver and passenger for a few minutes.  He went back to his car and was shot as he was looking up information on his computer.  He was shot through the windshield of his car.  Deputy Sherwood was also shot through his windshield as he was pursuing that piece of trash (who was killed by other officers after he hijacked a car driven by a mother and her two year old child).  If the patrol cars had bullet proof windshields there would be a completely different ending to this story.  I am writing this post to ask you to do your part to protect these men and women who protect you and your family every single day.  Sgt Wride's family has started a petition to put bullet proof glass on all patrol cars.  I am asking you to take a minute to sign the petition by clicking here and  help those who so selflessly help you.  I am asking you to please share the link and ask your friends and family to do their part as well.  We only have until March 7th and we still need a whole lot of signatures to get to the next step.  Please do what you can because I promise, real heroes dont wear capes, they wear badges!                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment