Monday, February 3, 2014

Sooo last season (pants tutorial)

Have you ever had some clothes that you love and then baby after baby things just don't fit as well?  I had some clothes that I loved but were stashed away while I was working on my family.  I was pregnant...have the baby...and try to get the baby weight off.  Once it was finally off I would get pregnant again  Never ending as most of us Mom's know.  I had my last baby in 2012 so I was ready to get the weight off and dust off the shelf of my "normal" clothes.   My husband and I are going on a little getaway that required tropical clothes. I didn't want to go and buy anything (because we live in Idaho its the end of January/February(10 degrees) I'm going to the tropics really am I going to find shorts anyways!) I climb up those shelves, dust of those lovely babies, and put my first leg on so giddy I cant hardly stand it!! Then I slide my other leg in. I seriously feel like I'm getting ready for my first date and WHAT! am I sure I am seeing what I am seeing?? Did I really by these ugly suckers? Really did we wear these things and think I looked good? Well thats where this post comes in because in all reality, yes we did. We all did. We bought the bell bottoms, aka bootcut , come on boot cut in capris. But who was really going to wear boots with their capri's? I guess the fashion industry sure thought so. So how do we fix those unwanted mistakes but keep the cute shorts capris or pants that we want? And make them into the skinnier leg that everyone is wearing now? Well its a quick fix and I will show you! And ya'll it really doesn't even have to be about losing weight either, it can be for anything. Even if you like to hang on to things like me.  You can fix those pants that you had from 10 yrs ago and make them updated to the skinny jeans or the bermuda shorts of the style for today.

Wide leg capris. I know they don't look horrible... but to me they are wide especially looking down.

                                                   

Step. 1. Turn the pants inside out and put them on. 
                                                     



Step 2.  Pin them starting on the inseam up high. I started at the knee going down to the ankle to how tight you want them to be. Take off your pants very carefully and keep them inside out. This is how you want to keep them.
                                                    
                     

Step 3 use a chalk or pen or if you doing this with jeans you can use a marker. I used what is called Tailor's Chalk.  It's about $1.50 at Walmart and washes right out and you can't see it. 
                                                     

Step 4. I used a ruler to help make a straight line I put it on the inside of my straight pins to give me some extra room. Take your chalk and make your mark. 
                                                     

Step 5. Sew your seam starting at the top at the knee or highest part. ( you can use a serger or a regular sewing machine whatever you choose.)
                                                   
 
Now you do have a choice. You can cut off the left over fabric that you just sewed. Or leave it incase the bell bottom look comes back. I mean who ever that the 80's style would be back. 


That's it you are done!!! 
I think they look so much better!!!

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment